Perfume Review: Flowerbomb (Viktor and Rolf)

So, when someone says "Flowerbomb", what do you imagine? I picture the above Banksy image first. Or some other sort of explosion of flowers...

via


Am I right? I mean "flower bomb". A ton of flowers simply exploding in front of me, that's what comes to my mind.


via
Not Viktor and Rolf. When they think "Flowerbomb", which is the name of the design duo's first scent (released in 2004), they imagine caramel yummies.

OK, it's an easy thing for me to do, too. Mention almost anything and I can Six-Degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon-it to dessert, too. But if I were to make a sugar-sweet perfume, I'd call it like it is!

At any rate, Flowerbomb smells to me a lot like crème brûlée sitting next to a vase of flowers - but the dessert is closer to my nose and the flowers are on the other side of the table.

Does that sound like I don't like the perfume? I realize it sounds like I'm kvetching, but I'm really not. I actually quite like Flowerbomb!

The crusty melted caramel facet is delicious (I mean...duh!). The florals are not overtly distinct to my nose. Definitely floral, but I can't so much pick out the different flowers, and I don't want to. The mid-point to drydown is my favorite part, which is a lovely floral patchouli on me.

This perfume is strong and lasts quite awhile. I can see where it could be polarizing! A bold gourmand scent with a misleading name... er, not the smartest move. But what do I know?! It's been selling well for 7 years!

A little insight: the juice for this perfume was created by IFF as an option for another brief. When Viktor & Rolf needed a perfume, this one was submitted. The designers named it (it corresponded with their collection of the same name, Spring/Summer '05) and designed the bottle.1


via



If it sounds like your kinda thing, I will warn you: it's on the pricier side of the department store shelves. One of the pretty hand grenade-shaped bottles of pink juice costs about $100 for 1.7oz. Sephora sells a rollerball for $25 and a "petite" .68oz for $50. There's also a 1oz for $75 and a few body products if you like to layer your caramelized flowers. I will caution you: a little seems to go a long way!

In my opinion, if you're into gourmands and florals, this is a must-try.

Now, if you'll excuse me, please, I've gotta go. I need to go get something sweet to eat!

xoxo,
*jen


Fragrance: Flowerbomb
House: Viktor and Rolf
Noses: Olivier Polge, Carlos Benaim, Domitille Bertier (all of IFF)
Released: 2004
Notes: bergamot, tea, jasmine, freesia, orchid, centiflora rose, patchouli
Sample: I've tried sprays from bottles and sample vials

Final Word: Delicious!

Oh, by the way, aren't the Flowerbomb visuals spectacular?!







And one last floral bomb that really bombs...

via

7 comments:

  1. Jen. I gotta say it - if I want to smell like dessert, I'd rather just cover myself in chocolate and say..."Who wants to be first?" ;-)

    I like Flowerbomb as a concept, I love the advertising, and don't much care for a dessert with that kind of price tag. But its fans are legion...and when my daughter, who loves heady, ambery and sweet went looking for something to wear, I turned her on to Flowerbomb, because it was at least well-made and constructed. So she's loved it ever since...

    Flowerbomb is so much better than Eau Mega, I've always thought. And it looks as if Viktor and Rolf were well ahead of a major trend I've only really seen in the past six months - how many dessert/candied perfumes has Bertrand Duchaufour been creating lately? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the first image! :) And so glad to have discovered your blog thanks to Beauty on the Outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want crème brûlée :(

    I like Flowerbomb. To smell, not to wear. Maybe I should try it again - it's a beautiful bottle... Why did I decide to give away all of my samples of this perfume?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tarleisio, Marina, and Undina, thank you for visiting!

    Tarleisio, I see where you're coming from! I don't really like gourmands as a whole, but there's something about this... As for Douchaufour, I have yet to post my feelings on Traversee du Bosphore, but let's just say I'm not a fan.

    Marina, I'm an avid reader of your blog (and Tarleisio's) and really love that you found my little scented home!

    Undina, sorry to create a dessert craving! Samples are easy to come by - at least around here. Nordstrom and Sephora will gladly hand you one!



    *Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to be writing to let you know of the wonderful experience my wife's girl enjoyed reading through your blog. She mastered lots of pieces, which included how it is like to possess a very effective giving mindset to have most people clearly grasp certain multifaceted things. You undoubtedly did more than our own expectations. Thanks for showing these essential, trusted, revealing and as well as easy tips on that topic to Janet.
    eight sixty Women's Elbow Sleeveless Dress And Tie Tunic

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is delicious one and feel lovely fragrance.
    and is here no a stink.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you chose to comment! I appreciate it. :)

Sorry for the stupid verification things I had to add to the Comment Section, but I am being bombarded with spam.